Tangy chicken recipe made with perfect honey mustard marinade, full of flavour and baked in the oven
I have just used mustard in my recipe for the first time to make a yogurt ranch dressing; because mustard doesn’t last long once open, I was longing to make something with it. This first idea that came to mind was baked honey mustard chicken. I have had it once before at a friend’s place and thought it would nice for me to make my recipe with.
Honey mustard chicken can be grilled or baked, but I have opted to bake mine. I also made a perfect vegetarian version of it with organic tofu and it was super tasty as well.
Ingredients in this recipe
There are 4 main ingredients in this chicken recipe, with a little bit of spiciness from the white pepper. I used boneless chicken breast (or chicken thighs), honey, Dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, garlic cloves and salt and ground pepper flakes. For more heat add ¼ teaspoon white pepper or cayenne pepper. For the Dijon mustard, you can use a grainy one or just add a sprinkle of mustard seeds to the marinade. I prefer using extra virgin olive oil for cooking, but you can also use ordinary olive oil.
How to make baked honey mustard chicken
- Chicken marinade: using a big bowl; add honey, Dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, pressed garlic (or copped or grated), salt, pepper and a bit of white pepper (or cayenne pepper). Mix the ingredients together by stirring with a spoon or spatula until it’s all blended together.
- Add the chicken breast into the marinade. To make sure that the chicken is well coated with the marinade, I mixed it in with my hands instead of using tongs.
- Cover the bowl with cling film or tin foil and place in the fridge for about 30mins to an hour. This will make the chicken absorb all the flavours in the marinade better before baking; so, the longer it is refrigerated for the more the flavour blends in.
- Bring the chicken out and bake for 30 mins at 200C(or grill for 15-20mins) or until the chicken is no longer pink. Preheat the oven at 200C for about 7-10mins before sticking the chicken in. A well-cooked chicken will have an internal heat of about 85-90C (use a meat thermometer to be sure).
- Serve with salad, roasted potatoes or another side dish.
Can you freeze marinated honey mustard chicken?
The answer is yes! You can freeze honey mustard marinade and other chicken marinades as well. To freeze the marinade, place it in a resealable bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To bake or grill, bring out and let it defrost completed before baking or grilling. The longer you freeze it for, the more it loses its taste and flavour.
Other chicken recipes
- Baked garlic butter chicken recipe
- Stuffed chicken breast
- Gluten free plantain popcorn chicken recipe
- Delicious and juicy chicken broccoli fritters recipe
Utensils and tools in this recipe
Let me know if yours came out well in the comment box below. Connect with me on my social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest @Daddysnom