Juicy Japanese teriyaki chicken skewers made with chicken breast, teriyaki sauce, bell peppers and courgettes. This chicken skewers recipe was made in the oven and it is so vibrant and healthy.
If you are looking for a sure crowd pleaser, teriyaki chicken skewers are a perfect option. Whenever I am out at an event with a friend, chicken skewers is what I always look out for on the menu. I just like the idea of eating the chicken from the skewers, similar to the way Nigerian beef/chicken suya is presented.
Usually, chicken skewers and other roasted food are linked to summer and picnics, but for me it is an all year round delicacy. It is quick and easy to make in the oven or on a grill pan with little effort.
Ingredients in Japanese Teriyaki chicken skewers
Skinless chicken breast, bell peppers, courgettes, chicken seasoning, ground peppercorn, teriyaki sauce (sticky Japanese teriyaki sauce), garlic powder and salt to taste. I added vegetables to mine to make it healthier and I also tried not to complicate it with too many ingredients. I used Blue Dragon’s teriyaki sauce, it’s my favourite because it is rich in flavour and the aroma blends perfectly into the chicken.
How to make Japanese teriyaki chicken skewers
- Place chicken breast on a chopping board and cut into desired shapes. Usually medium size cubes, or ½ inch thick slices (common with Chinese chicken skewers).
- Place the chicken in a sealable plastic bag or lidded plastic bowl, add teriyaki sauce and other seasonings. Marinate the chicken for about an hour or overnight to let allow the sauce to blend in better.
- If you’re using bamboo skewers, soak the skewer sticks in water for 30-60mins before using. This will allow the skewers to last longer and won’t get burnt easily. If you’re using metal skewers, ignore this step.
- Preheat the oven/grill at 175C.
- Grill for about 4-5mins on both sides or longer depending on the thickness of the chicken.
- Brush more teriyaki sauce over the cooked chicken and let it rest for about 2mins before serving.
What can you serve with Grilled teriyaki chicken skewers?
You can serve teriyaki chicken skewers with a bowl of rice or with your favourite vegetables for a perfect chicken dinner. As an appetizer, teriyaki chicken goes well with Tzatziki sauce or mayonnaise/paprika dip. With bread, spread some mayonnaise or avocado mash on Turkish flatbread to make a teriyaki chicken sandwich.
How to make homemade teriyaki sauce
You can make your own teriyaki sauce, it’s quite easy to make in just two steps. You will need the following ingredients;
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 5 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
Step one: Combine 1 cup water, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, ginger, and garlic powder in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until nearly heated through, about 1 minute.
Step two: Mix cornstarch and 1/4 cold water together in a cup; stir until dissolved. Add to the saucepan. Cook and stir sauce until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Tools and utensils in this recipe
Other chicken recipes
- Baked garlic butter chicken recipe
- Stuffed chicken breast
- Delicious baked honey mustard chicken
- Gluten free plantain popcorn chicken recipe
- Sheet-pan roasted veggies and chicken dinner
Let me know if yours came out well in the comment box below. Connect with me on my social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest @Daddysnom