Perfect vegetarian sandwich made with roasted vegetables and grilled cheese!
One of my favourite sandwiches is bacon and cheese sandwich, but there are some days that I just get tired of it and want to try something new. For days like this, roasted veg and grilled cheese sandwich is my go-to sandwich. I like seeing the crispy brown look of the pan-grilled sandwiches and the way all the flavours come together. This sandwich is so rich in healthy vegetables, an excellent option for meatless sandwiches. I used courgette, aubergine, bell peppers and red onion in my recipe, but other similar vegetables can be used as desired.
Ingredients I used
1 courgette (zucchini), 1 aubergine (egg plant), 1 red and green bell pepper, 1 red onion (only need a ¼ ), olive oil (sprayable), dill (fresh or dried), 2 knobs of butter, 8 slices of thick bread, 4 ounces of mozzarella and cheddar cheese (or any other stringy cheese), salt and pepper to taste.
You can make your own twist by using other types of suitable vegetables. In Yumna‘s recipe, she used yellow squash; I used two bell peppers (red and green) in mine instead because that was all I could found during my shopping. So, depending on what veg you use, you can always be flexible to suit your taste. This applies to the type of cheese you use as well, any stringy cheese that pulls will be just fine.
How to make roasted veg and grilled cheese sandwich
- Cut all vegetables into thin slices and place in a baking tray. Spray some olive oil on the vegetables and garnish with chopped dill (or dried dill), salt and pepper. Preheat oven at 200C and toss the vegetables in for about 10mins or until the vegetables are slightly tender.
- Brush some butter on one side of the sliced bread
- Set to medium heat and place the buttered side of the bread on a cast iron skillet or non-stick frying pan.
- Add cheddar cheese slices on top of the bread followed by the roasted vegetables and stringy mozzarella cheese. Top it with another buttered bread, buttered side on top.
- Grill the sandwich for about 4-5mins on both sides. You can apply some pressure on the sandwich while it’s grilling using a flat metal spoon.
- Serve and enjoy the vegetable goodness!
Utensils and tools in this recipe
Let me know if yours came out well in the comment box below. Connect with me on my social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest @Daddysnom.