Healthy low carb butter biscuit made with flour, butter, egg whites, baking powder and sea salt to taste.
I have not been doing a lot of baking since I started my blog, but whenever I do bake, I try to made it as healthy as possible. This low carb butter biscuit inspired by Kelvin of Fitmencook was a perfect start to my biscuit portfolio. It is super healthy, tasty and very easy to make. This biscuit is perfect for late night snacking with a cup of tea or a quick breakfast before work. The absence of sugar is not felt with the salted butter coating bringing loads of aroma and sumptuousness; making it a worthy addition to kids’ lunch packs as well.
Ingredients in low carb butter biscuit
Another thing I like about this crunchy biscuit is that it only requires just four main ingredients, which are eggs whites, flour, baking powder and butter (and sea salt to taste). I used all-purpose flour for mine but you can use almond or whole wheat flour to make it healthier and gluten free. The egg whites help keep the calories low while also boosting the protein. The biscuits have less than 9g of carbs per serving; this is very good if you’re following a low-carb diet.
How to make low carb butter biscuit
- Pre heat oven at 180C.
- Using a mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt and mix together. Then, add butter and mix together with a fork until it’s crumbly smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until it looks foamy or until light peaks have formed, then add it to the flour mix.
- Fold the batter together, and then store in the fridge for 20 minutes to 1 hour, or in the freezer for 10 -12 minutes, to let it rest and firm up. I just stored mine in the freezer to save some time.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper (parchment paper), and use an ice cream scoop to evenly divide up the batter into separate mounds on the tray.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes in the oven, or until the outside is golden brown and “crusty.” Let them slightly cool to firm up, about 5 minutes before serving.
You can always customise yours by adding a little bit of coconut flour (2 tablespoon), cinnamon or nutmeg.
How to preserve butter biscuit
The butter biscuit can last for 5-7 days in the fridge without losing it’s freshness and flavour. When the biscuits are cool, store in a sealable freezer bag or a lidded plastic container before refrigerating.
Utensils and tools in this recipe
Let me know if yours came out well in the comment box below. Connect with me on my social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest @Daddysnom